Thursday 2 August 2012

Moroccan Meatballs served with char-grilled veggies and cous cous

We really like Moroccan food in this house - the kids love cous cous so we are almost guaranteed empty plates.

Tonight I made Moroccan Meatballs and served them with veggies and cous cous. I didn't exactly char-grill the veggies, I pan-fried them, but they were delicious.

Got the recipe from one of those housewife magazines - I think it was Take-5.  Flicking through food magazines is my favourite thing to do when I'm at my mother-in-laws house as she buys them for the crosswords.

I changed it a little though.

I did find the meatballs fell apart slightly when I was cooking them, so I would probably put less yoghurt in the mixture next time, and maybe some breadcrumbs to bind them.

Oh and I doubled the recipe so there are leftovers for tomorrow night's dinner (as I'm out all day tomorrow).

Here's the recipe:

INGREDIENTS:
500g premium mince
2 tsp ground paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
2 tbsp natural yoghurt
1 small bunch of mint, finely chopped
black pepper
2 tsp olive oil
425g tin of diced roma tomatoes
375ml chicken stock
1 spanish onion, sliced (optional - I forgot to buy some so didn't have any and it still tasted lovely)
1 large red capsicum, chopped
1 or 2 large zucchinis, sliced
1 large eggplants (or two small ones), diced
1 and a half cups of water
1 tbsp margarine
1 and a half cups of cous cous

METHOD:
Put mince, paprika, cumin, yoghurt, and 1/4 cup chopped mint into a large bowl. Season with pepper and mix until thoroughly combined.  Roll mixture into balls.
Heat oil in a large non-stick fry-pan.  Add meatballs and cook until lightly browned all over.





Stir in the tomatoes and stock and bring to the boil.  Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for around 25 mins until meatballs are cooked through and liquid has reduced and thickened.




Grease a heated pan and throw in the veggies until browned.




Bring water and a pinch of salt to the boil in a saucepan.  Turn the heat off.
Add the cous cous and stand for 5 mins.  Return to the stove, add margarine, and stir with a fork to separate.  Add to the veggies, together with the remaining chopped mint, and stir.





Serve the meatballs on a bed of cous cous and veggies.
Enjoy!!!








No comments:

Post a Comment