Wednesday 11 July 2012

Home made yoghurt

In my mission to slowly rid the house of unnatural foods (ok, cut down) I decided to buy a Lumina Yoghurt Maker from Aldi.  I only buy the Jalna yoghurt for the kids because it is pot set and contains no nasties.  However, they don't come in kids size tubs or pouches and although it's easy to just put some in a small container, it is not as appealing to the 3 year old as the fun pouches!

So I purchased some pouches from www.pouched.com.au.  The pouches are fabulous - the smaller ones are for single use only, but the food can be frozen in them as well as thawed.  I also purchased some larger ones for freezing larger meals and for things like leftover chicken stock.  These can be re-used up to 5 times.

So all I did was mix 1200ml of full cream milk with 200ml of natural tub-set yoghurt. I then divided the mixture into the 7 glass containers, pressed the button and waited 6 hours for the yoghurt to "cook".





After 6 hours the yoghurt was still watery, so I left it on another hour and a half and it was set.  However, next time I will leave it on even longer so it thickens up a bit more.  A few hours in the fridge and it was ready.

I pureed some apple and pear, added a little cinnamon and after it had cooled in the refrigerator I mixed some with the yoghurt.




And into my little pouches they went.




Fun for the 3 year old to eat.
Easy for the 10 month old to eat from.

A definite win!

Off to the health food shop tomorrow to find something natural to sweeten the yoghurt up (as my son is too young for honey).


4 comments:

  1. Nom nom! Looks great. I bet the lil uns will love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep they do Moey. And yesterday I bought some pear juice concentrate from the health food shop to add to my next batch to make it a little sweeter!

      Delete
  2. Hi there, what temp was the milk before you mixed the yoghurt? I have made two batches one cold, one with the milk slightly warmed and neither have set even after 8 hours the first time and 17 hours the next time :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenny,
      The milk was straight out of the fridge - although I must admit the result wasn't as thick as I had expected it to be. Could you perhaps try upping the ratio of yoghurt to milk? I have read that if the room is cold then it can take longer, so perhaps have the machine going in a warmer room?

      Delete