Wednesday 30 May 2012

Shephard's pie... No, correction: Cottage Pie

Did you know that Shepherd's pie is only shepherd's pie when you use lamb mince?
My English husband pointed this out to me the other day when I made "Shepherd's pie" - he pointed out to me that it was in fact called Cottage Pie because I used Pork and Beef mince.....

So here is my COTTAGE PIE recipe:

Ingredients:
800g Pork and Beef (or pork and veal) mince
1 brown onion
1 tin of diced roma tomatoes
1 tablespoon of tomato paste
1 cup of sliced mushrooms
1 grated zucchini
2 grated carrots
2 bay leaves
Salt and Pepper
1 tablespoon of mixed spices
5 potatoes
1 tablespoon of butter
1/4 cup of cream (or milk for the diet-conscious)
1 cup of tasty cheese (I also used a bit of mozarella cheese)

Method:
Brown the mince.  Add the onion, then the roma tomatoes and tomato paste.  Add the vegetables and the bay leaves, and also a little water.



Add the seasoning and spices, and simmer for 20-30 mins.



Dice the potato and boil until soft.  Drain the water, and mash.  Add the butter and cream (or milk) and season with salt and pepper.  Mash.
Remove the mince mixture from the heat and pour into a baking dish.


Spread the mashed potato over the top of the mixture, sprinkle with cheese and bake for about 20 mins or until cheese is cooked.


Bon apetite!

No comments:

Post a Comment